domingo, 20 de junho de 2010

The Thirty Days Chronicle - Day 8

MARCH, 1878
I

This once, time is long but the story is short.

Therefore:
– I cannot spend fifty reams o paper in saying:

– How hot!

– It’s really hot!

– The heat has been awful.

– We’re in danger of having a horrible drought!

—Etc.

—Etc.

May I? I can’t. That would be to kill myself and the reader –two serious thing, either of which I don’t know is the most serious. Maybe... no, I will not say that; lets be modest and not hurt the reader.

Well, the history of the last month is no other. Here and there a rare, fearfull, squallid event, with some exceptions), but as to the big story, that one belong to the slow fire with which this summer has set to kill us.

Happy are those who go to Petropolis, Teresopolis, Friburgo, all those city with either Greek or Germanic names, and a weather which is even more Germanic than Greek. These don't know what it is to put the soul off your mouth, to work in sweats, like dripping street waterspouts, they don’t know what it is to have a prickly heat, not to be able to sleep, to eat and (in no time) to drink…

You and I, reader attached to the capitol, you and I know the hell that February has been, a month invented by the devil So, my apologies for the heat story, that you know as well as me, may be better than I do.

MARÇO DE 1878.
I

O prazo é longo, mas desta vez a história é curta.

Porquanto: — eu não posso gastar cinqüenta resmas de papel a dizer:

— Que calor!

—Faz muito calor!

— O calor esteve horrível.

— Estamos ameaçados de uma horrível seca!

—Etc.

—Etc.

Posso? Não posso. Seria matar-me a mim e ao leitor, — dois casos graves, e não sei qual deles mais grave, não sei. Talvez... não, não digo; sejamos modestos e não magoemos o leitor.

Ora, a história do mês passado não é outra. Aqui e ali um acontecimento, raro, medroso e pálido com algumas exceções), mas a grande história, essa pertence ao fogo lento com que este verão assentou de matar-nos.

Felizes os que verão a Petrópolis, Teresópolis, Friburgo, todas essas cidades de nomes gregos ou germânicos, e clima ainda mais germânico do que grego. Esses não sabem o que é pôr a alma pela boca fora, trabalhar suando, como suam as bicas da rua; não sabem o que é ter brotoeja, não dormir, não comer, e (daqui a pouco tempo) não beber ...

Tu e eu, leitor agarrado à capital, tu e eu sabemos o que foi o demônio do Fevereiro, mês inventado pelo diabo. Logo, escusa contar-te a história do calor, que tu sabes tanto como eu, talvez melhor do que eu.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário